Tuesday 4 June 2013

Can you trust that medical journal?

"An article in the April 8 New York Times titled "Scientific Articles Accepted (Personal Checks, Too)" caught my attention. It describes the growing availability of free online medical journals that use questionable tactics to gather and publish research of questionable quality.

The article piqued my interest because the experiences of some researchers described in it are similar to my own. I am also an editor of CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, one of the American Cancer Society's medical journals, so I have an interest in the world of journal publishing.

But more importantly, I wanted to write about this topic because this is an issue that can affect cancer patients, survivors, and their loved ones, all of whom increasingly seek out information from medical journals." Continue reading the American Cancer Society's Expert Voices blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment